Monday, July 7, 2008

getting ready

In two weeks, Luci and I will set off across the country, from Ann Arbor, MI to Portland, OR and then catch a plane to Hawai`i, where we are moving to be with my wife, Janis. Luci is a Golden Doodle.....one of those designer mutts that are increasingly popular.

As I discussed my trip with the wise bartender at Casey's Pub, she asked if I had read Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley," his later life story of his cross country trip with his standard poodle. I have not, but I just received a well-worn copy from Amazon, and will make reading it a part of my preparation.

Growing up, my family never made that classic American family vacation: the car trip of the west. Hence, I have only ever flown over the fly over states, and this seems like a great chance to visit several of them, cutting in half the states I am yet to visit.

As I talked about this adventure, a few people have asked that I blog about it. Blogging being one of the web adventures I have not tried, I thought this would be a good time to give it a go. I will try to put up my thoughts when I get opportunities as I pass through the plains and the Rockies.

In the mean time, I will try to share my thoughts as I prepare for this journey.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to the updates from the road, Mr. Kuralt.

The Laidlaw's