Tuesday, July 15, 2008

getting ready, with growing urgency

Luci and I are getting ready for the big trip,which is less than a week away. I'd like to be looking at the map, choosing a route and imagining good road food. Instead it is is more about switching utilities, cleaning the fridge and securing medical records. But also a lot of good byes. Good friends and good get togethers, last pints with my brother, last rounds on favorite golf courses.

So this is a first attempt at blogging, and I expect it is pretty boring so far. I am only in today to make sure I knew HOW to get back in. I hope that the road will bring the inspiration to make it better. I am reading Steinbeck now. His America and mine will be quite different, separated by 1/2 a century, and by his professional observer's skills. But there are similarities, and I will try to quote Steinbeck when he has already said what I hope to say, as I would rather not compete.

The movers come tomorrow. I hope this isn't unpleasant for Luci, although I think she'll go to day care for the day to avoid the experience. Although she'd probably like to make sure we don't pack anything we need for the trip (frisbee, treats, etc).

I have loaded a picture to this blog, and it was very slow. I will set up a Picasa site to correspond with our trip. More next week.

No comments: